Pre-Columbian

What is now Flat Shoals Avenue was a major trade route for the Native Americans. It was called Sandtown Trail and connected the coastal area near Savannah with the Chattahoochee River.

Nicolia Gruendler
1830s

Small farms and large plantations grew and the area’s many creeks were dammed to mill grain and lumber. The old Indian trail became know as the Flat Shoals Road, because it served the farms past the flat shoals on the South River near Panola Mountain.

Nicolia Gruendler
1861-1865

Atlanta became a major supply hub of the southern war effort and consequently a major target of the northern war effort. Lemuel P. Grant designed the city’s fortifications to protect his plantation on the east side of the city in what is now Grant Park.

Nicolia Gruendler
Early 1900s

After the Civil War, East Atlanta recovered quickly becoming a developing unincorporated town – a suburb of Atlanta. Moreland Avenue was little more than a dirt path along the county line, while Flat shoals andGlenwood Avenues were the major highways that brought the farmers and their goods to town. 

Nicolia Gruendler
1940s-1960s

The undeveloped center of the neighborhood was subdivided and developed by the Williams brothers who were born and raised in East Atlanta and had build a lumber and concrete business nearby on Glenwood Avenue.

Nicolia Gruendler
East Atlanta in the 1980s

Twenty years after the first blockbusting integration in East Atlanta, the neighborhood remained integrated with a 60% black and 40% white/other racial mix.

Nicolia Gruendler